Monday 11 October 2010

The Diving-Bell and the Butterfly

The Diving-Bell and the Butterfly by Jean-Dominique Bauby

After a massive stroke, the author was left with movement only in one eyelid. By blinking as letters of the alphabet were read out, he dictated this book about what it's like living with locked-in syndrome. Sadly, he died just after the book was first published in France.

It's an amazing achievement, and is the sort of book which makes you realise how lucky you are and how wonderful life is. Bauby writes with eloquence, warmth and wry humour.

When writing about how he insisted on being dressed in his own clothes, not hospital gowns, he writes: I see in the clothes a symbol of continuing life. And proof that I still want to be myself. If I must drool, I may as well drool on cashmere. Attaboy.

EVERYONE SHOULD READ THIS BOOK, and remind yourself of what it means to be alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment